Friday, July 8, 2011

Zucchini Fries

I'm away at a wedding this weekend and the temptation to go off the reservation has been high since we got in the car last night. I almost suggested stopping at Popeyes for dinner. Luckily I had made some salmon cakes (working on a good recipe, these were fine but nothing special) that were able to get me through the ride. Well see what happens the rest of the weekend. The thought of the delicious food I made myself this week will hopefully be enough to get me through a weekend with lots of yummy looking bad food and very few good food options. Like these zucchini fries I made a couple days ago. They look and kinda taste like junk food but definitely are not.


Ingredients
1 zucchini, cut into fry sized strips
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup almond meal
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste


1) preheat oven to 400
2) beat eggs in shallow bowl
3) in a second bowl mix almond meal garlic powder salt and pepper
4)toss zucchini strips into egg bowl and mix coating each evenly
5) remove zucchini from egg one at at time. Shake off excess egg and roll in alomd mixture coating evenly
6) place zucchini on large baking sheet ensuring there is at least 1/8 inch of space around each
7) spray with olive oil mister, or drizzle with I've oil if you font have a mister
8) bake in oven for 15-20 minutes flipping half way through until golden brown.
9) remove from oven and salt. Eat and know these are way bettter for you then regular fries or even (especially)thoes deep fried bread coated things they sell at bars.

P.s. All my friends are headed to Chick-a-fil here's hoping I can resist!

1 comment:

  1. I just tried this recipe tonight (adding a little grated Parmesan to the almond meal) and it was great! One zucchini wasn't going to be enough, so I quadrupled the batch... and am not ashamed that I ate HALF of them all while still cooking the rest of dinner. I have a feeling my husband and I will be fighting over the rest.

    ReplyDelete