Monday, July 11, 2011

Cucumber Water

Since middle school I have been a total diet coke addict.  There were times in my life that I would drink at least 2 liters of the stuff everyday, including having a caffeine full glass right before bed.  In fact, here is a picture from behind my computer just 6 months ago:



I figured that it was good for me because it was calorie free. Totally wrong

Now I drink mostly water or espresso, maybe an iced coffee, and I try not to drink caffeine after 12 pm. But I get bored with water and coffee. Sometimes I want to drink something with a little flavor. In comes flavored water - not this crap.  Flavored water I make myself.  And its easy. I just place whatever flavorings I want to use in the bottom of my Brita filter, add water, and enjoy a few hours later.

My favorite is really simple - plain cucumber - but really there are endless options.  I've done strawberries and basil, honeydew melon and mint, orange and lavender, lemongrass and basil.



Ingredients
2 liters of water
1 medium cumber, sliced (whatever fruit or veg you are using you want about a cup of slices)
4 -5 sprigs of thyme(optional) (for fresh herbs use 1/3 of a cup, if you are using a dried herd, like lavender, use 1-2 tablespoons)
1) Place cucumber (and thyme if using) in the bottom of your brita filter or pitcher.  Pour water in.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, 24 is better. Strain. Serve over ice. Enjoy. Be refreshed!

For my grow up readers - this is super tasty mixed with gin or rum and a splash of seltzer!

6 comments:

  1. Great idea Sara! I bet you feel so much better without the can o' chemicals, right? Thanks for sharing this on Chowstalker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Patty

    Thank you for posting it! Any yes I really do fill a million times better, and the addicted feeling of needing to drink one after another is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made this instead of morning coffee and so good that had to share with others so I added it to my favorite Paleo recipes at http://www.arizonacaveman.com/paleo-recipes/

    Wanted to say thanks and Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jay Feitlinger Thanks Jay! I'm glad you like it. I just made a batch too. I'm starting a Whole 30 (and posting again) after a few months of bad eating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the wonderful things you are sharing here. Its great summer drink. I really do fill a million times better, and the addicted feeling of needing to drink one after another is gone.
    vitamin water manufacturer

    ReplyDelete