Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Thai Coconut Mussels

We spent our 4th of July weekend relaxing with friends in New Hampshire. It was really amazing, we hiked, swam, and slept in. We were also able to grill the whole weekend which meant eating right was pretty easy. Yes, I had to watch people sit around eating delicious looking ice cream one day, but mostly they were eating crap that I just am not interested in.

Anyways, we got back last night and although the trip was relaxing I was beat when we got home - a 5.5 hour drive in a car without air conditioning will do that to a girl. In the past that mood would have resulted in ordering Thai takeout. The typical order was Pad Thai with wide noodles and the best freaking Tom Kha (coconut milk soup) that has ever been made in the history of the world. While its possible that the soup has no yucky ingredients in it I wouldn't bet my life on it. Basically takeout was not an option, and since Mike has only mastered egg cookery, I was headed to the kitchen.

I wanted to make something reminiscent of the usual Thai takeout and that wouldn't take me much longer than calling in my order would. I decided on mussels in a coconut curry broth. As I sat down after only 10 minutes in the kitchen I dug into my bowl of mussels and was totally satisfied. The broth was light and slightly creamy with a kick from the ginger, but nothing was overpowering and the mussels were definitely the star of the show.

Thai Coconut Mussels.



Ingredients
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 white onion, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
1 red pepper, sliced
1 thumb sized piece of ginger, cut into thin strips (I used a piece the size of a giants thumb because I love ginger)
6 cloves crushed garlic
3 dashes fish sauce
1 tablespoon green curry paste (this stuff is pretty mild, you could substitute a thai chili pepper if you wanted some kick)
1 lime, zested and juiced
1 can full fat coconut milk
2 lbs mussels, cleaned and debearded (most places around me sell mussels ready for cooking, ask your fishmonger to be sure)
garnish: lime, scallions

1) Heat coconut oil on medium heat in pot with a tight fitting lid deep enough to hold all your mussels.
2) Add onions and pepper to pot and cook for about 3 minutes, until onions are translucent
3) Add ginger, garlic, curry paste, fish sauce, and lime zest and juice - cook for another 1-2 minutes
4) Add coconut milk to pot and stir. Heat through, about 3 minutes
5) While your coconut milk is heating go through your mussels and discard any that have already opened.
6) Throw mussels in the pot, give a good stir, and then cover. Cook, covered, for 5-7 minutes until mussels have opened.
7) Pour into to bowls and top with a squeeze on lime and some chopped scallions. Enjoy while patting yourself on the back for not giving into the takeout demon!

2 comments: