Thursday, July 7, 2011

Chimichurri!

I love condiments. Really really love. Some have even called me the condiment queen. My fridge use to be bursting with jelly, jam, chutney, ailoli, 15 different types of mustard, tons of hot sauce varieties, steak sauces, and on and on. When I finally got around to removing all non-paleo items from my house I was shocked at how empty my shelves and fridge became. I wasn't tossing chips and cookies, more like 3 varieties of teriyaki sauce and more than one jar of curd. I was shocked by how many of the things I thought were harmless actually contained sugar or canola oil.  It was pretty sad.

But there is one condiment that has not forsaken me. Chimichuri. This condiment, Argentinian  in origin, is traditionally made with parsley, garlic, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. This traditional version is fabulous herbaceous with a sharp bite from the raw garlic. You can also make other versions, mint, lemon, and coconut oil is delish.  As is cilantro, jalepeno, olive oil, and lime.  This week I made a traditional chimichuri with the addition of garlic scapes. And it showed up on everything I ate.  Steak, eggs, even a as a dressing for my salad yesterday.


Ingredients

1 bunch parsley, stems removed, leave roughly chopped
3 garlic scapes, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 lime, zest and juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil


1) Place everything but olive oil in food processor. Process for about 1 minute until everything is in little tiny pieces.
2) With processor still going stream in olive oil, process for 1 minute until everything comes together as a sauce. This will keep for about a week covered in your fridge. Eat on everything.

5 comments:

  1. Woah. And wouldn't you know it - I have some fresh garlic scapes growing in my kitchen window. I see green sauce in my very near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Why Just Eat

    I wish I had a garden in my kitchen window! I've been talking about it forever, but I haven't gotten around to it yet :)

    @julia Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @SaraHere's the funny thing about my window garden - it was totally by accident. I had some garlic that apparently sat around too long because it started sprouting on my kitchen counter, so I stuck it in some dirt. And it grew. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great color! Inspiring to have a window garden.

    ReplyDelete