Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Mango Curry Soup

So, I'm sitting here on my lunch break eating a bowl of soup that I made at 6 o'clock yesterday morning. I'm not normally one to wake up early during the week to cook, but these were special circumstances. Warning - this is a serious case of white people problems! If that sort of thing bothers you feel free to skip on down the recipe :)

This Sunday I made enough food so that Mike (husband along for this paleo ride) and I could take our lunch to work everyday this week. At the last minute on Tuesday (via email at 9 pm) my boss offered me free tickets to the opera last night (which was super weird), neither of us had ever been before so we decided to go. That meant that we needed to bring both our lunch and dinner with us to work to avoid eating out in the dreaded Midtown Lunch region of tasty but horrible for you food. I also wasn't going to have have time to cook new lunches for today after we got home from being classy at the opera. And didn't want to skip the gym this morning to make it today. If it was just me I probably would have just had a big breakfast and skipped lunch, but Mike who has never tried to control his diet before (and, maddeningly, has always been thin) probably would have fallen face first into a burrito.

All this means that at 6 am yesterday I got up and made this Mango Curry soup with ingredients I had on hand. It's creamy, smooth, a little spicy, and a little sweet. I originally planned on this being a cold soup, and that's pretty good but hot is definitely the way to go. It's not necessarily the most balanced lunch - lacking in protein and veggies - but it is so freaking delicious.

This is a bowl I poured yesterday morning for picture taking purposes
I definitely didn't scarf half of it down while pouring it into Tupperware
P.S. I totally did that
P.P.S It was awesome


I'm not the only one who liked it either. I just got this message from my husband on gchat:













Ingredients

2 teaspoons coconut oil
1 medium sweet onion (I used vidalia, but anything would work)
3 cup mango chunks (I used organic frozen from Trader Joe's, fresh would probably be better)
1 - 2 tablespoons thai red curry paste (I used the Thai Kitchen version which has no yucky things added to it. It's a little spicy, which I like, but if you don't use less and then add more to taste. They also make a green curry paste which is milder if you're into that sort of thing)
1 can full fat coconut milk (Again I used Thai Kitchen, I know there's better out there but this is what the place closest to me carries. Just don't use light!)
salt to taste

optional garnishes: lime, cilantro, whipped coconut milk I didn't use any of these but if you were serving this to people you wanted to impress all three of these would make it look prettier/taste better.

1) Heat coconut oil over medium heat in dutch oven, or other soup pot
2) Dice onion and sautee in coconut oil - the evenness of your dice doesn't really matter here, its all getting blended up later
3) Once onions are softened (turned translucent) season lightly with salt and add curry paste, and cook for 30 sec - 1 min
4) Add mango chucks - if you are using frozen cook for about 5 minutes until fruit defrosts and softens a bit. If you are using fresh, I would say you probably only need a minute or two on this step.
6) Add coconut milk and simmer for 3-4 minutes until mixture looks like this:
7) Turn off heat and blend soup with an immersion blender until all the chucks of mango and onion are gone. If you don't have an immersion blender you can use a regular blender, but its way more annoying, harder to clean up, ad more likely to spill, so I think you should probably just get an immersion blender - they are pretty cheap and I use mine all the time.
8) Now you could either eat the soup as it or if you wanted to get all fancy you could run the soup through a fine mesh strainer to make it even smoother and then garnish it with some of the optional garnishes above. Whatever you decide you are in for a tasty bowl of soup. Enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment